Saturday, August 20, 2011

BOC Painting with Light


I went out to Rhyolite, to shoot for an architecture class assignment and I thought that would be my perfect opportunity to photograph my painting with light. Rhyolite has a ghost town and it would be a perfect place to find old buildings to play with light. The necessary thing I need to paint with light was colored flash lights and darkness. I could have easily done something at home but I wanted a different outlook toward the picture with something more than just words or a drawing. I knew that it would have to be a long exposure and I would have to get the correct settings if not the colors would neither show nor the words. I set my camera on a tripod and I began playing around in Rhyolite and I found this building that was an old jail. I thought it was interesting so I decided to try out some test shots to see how it look the hardest part about writing or drawing with light was getting the wording written correctly backwards and also seeing without light in the dark. I used two types of lights 580ex flash and a flash light with colored leds. I flashed the door multiple types with the 580ex to show where I was at. That was a bit difficult because I had that come out correctly and then the words not come out. And then I wrote the word Jail Door slowly that way all the colors showed correctly. After a couple times I was finally satisfied and came out with a happy medium. I learned you can do so much with light in the dark and with objects that it made experimenting and trying to come out with something fun and different.  I think later on I would like to incorporate painting with light into my photographs to challenge myself and see what my outcomes would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment